From Project: Redcap
(Redirected from MP)
|Product Number:||Atlas adopted this product with AG1016|
|Format:||Softcover, 64 pages|
|Availability:||Out of print, PDF available|
Mythic Places is an Ars Magica supplement consisting of five supernatural locations, with accompanying story hooks.
Subject and Contents
Mythic Places is a collection of short scenarios. It introduces the concept of regiones, and presents four sample ones. Although the mechanics are outdated, the locales and suggested adventure lines may still be worth mining for ideas. For example, the Animal Powers scenario apparently inspired the covenant of Crintera in the Guardians of the Forest supplement.
The four regios are:
- The Monolith: a cursed ancient king awaits those who can free him from the god's curse. This is presented as a Magical regio, but is probably Faerie under Fifth Edition cosmology.
- The Flower Lady: an old lady tends a faerie garden.
- The Well of St. Alban: a well whose water has healing powers.
- The Animal Powers: Powerful animal spirits reside at the heart of a forest.
The following reviews were collected from the original Ars Magica FAQ site:
FAQ Rating: \*\*\* (18 reviews; 0 *, 9 \*\*, 8 \*\*\*, 1 \*\*\*\*)
- Interesting ideas, worth perusing, but perhaps of limited usefulness.
- Illustrates very well the concept of regio. Too bad that generic regio aren't what I want, I want historic - filled regios ;)
- Nice regiones and story ideas.
- Four good examples of regiones.
- The original pocket dimension book. Introduced regios and related rules, but didn't present settings of great interest.
- Reasonable adventure seeds.
- Really liked these... nice ideas for quick adventures, without being so scripted to ruin them. Good idea done well.
- Good development of the regio, with regios and regio-control spells, but the adventures are poor. Better to get Faeries for the same rules and better adventures (The Animal Powers lifts it into mediocrity).
- Some good story ideas, some silly stuff
- Adventure locations utilizing regio. None took my fancy.
- Ideas for small encounters on the way
- Good places & short stories to introduce every-where. A good idea to replace "Magic-Aura-Rating Area" by the more customized Regio.
- Some cute little places here with real stretches to include a regio in each one. Not bad ideas, but I've never managed to use one of them in a story.
- Dated, rules need to be examined and checked, good hooks for new players.
- Regios are neat. Was a must before 4th edition, but it's only valuable now for the regio examples.
Please edit this page to add your own comments on the book.
See the following links for more information.
Related external sites
- See the Official product page at Atlas Games.
The history of this page before August 6, 2010 is archived at Legacy:mythic_places