From Project: Redcap
(Redirected from UT)
Ultima Thule: Mythic Scandinavia, by Paul Williams, is a Fourth Edition Tribunal sourcebook about Scandinavia. It is one of several Fourth Edition supplements related to the Novgorod Tribunal. The book was edited by Spike Jones and the cover was by Douglas Shuler.
It includes information about the last 200 years or so of History of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, Scotland, Normandy, Finland, the Baltic Lands and Russia in Mythic Europe. It also has information on the Realms of Nordic Myth.
There is a detailed system of Rune Magic, whose users are named "Vitki" (plural of "Vitkir") and a controversial decision to state that the Order of Odin does not exist as such (although alternate scenarios are immediately presented).
|Product Type:||Regional sourcebook|
|Format:||Softcover, 144 pages|
Until about 2005, the original Ars Magica FAQ site solicited reviews of Ars Magica products from the community. The online review submission form is no longer available, but please feel free to edit this page to add your own comments. A synopsis of the survey results for this book is:
FAQ Rating: ** (9 reviews; 1 *, 7 **, 1 ***, 0 ****)
- Anachronistic, not needed for the line, but moderately useful if you're playing on the edges of Scandinavia or want to have a "Wild West" frontier Saga.
- Yet another set of hedge magicians (sigh).
- If you want Vikings, this is good vikings (bar minor anachronisms that probably increase the mythic feel).
- Yet another book about the fringes of the Order, where the main player characters types aren't.
- Offers a runic magic system that I don't care about and commits the most grievous "canonical" error I can think of: it deletes the Order of Odin from Mythic Europe. A mystical order that could have provided powerful opponents for the Hermetic Order, with whom they could interact (battle, trade, explore) without Hermetic Code restrictions, was lost with one (expletive deleted) sentence.
The Official Product Page at Atlas Games.